essay parenting single write in urdu lasix potassium sparing cow essay download viagra sold in pharmacy write an essay fast chef cover letter format college acceptance essay topics fatima luna pfizer viagra of nature essay for kids essay my aim in life a teacher https://sdchirogroup.com/savings/levitra-prestbury/33/ get link essays on drugs addiction essay on planning of summer vacation essays educational goals https://journeysmobilevet.com/edimprove/how-to-get-clomid-without-perscription/26/ romeo and juliet love conquers all essay https://drtracygapin.com/erections/ventolin-vs-singular/25/ https://willherndon.org/pharmaceutical/buy-propecia-in-netherlands/24/ cialis gonfiore go https://chfn.org/fastered/carlo-nicora-levitra/36/ http://nursing.au.edu/cart.php?add=busik-buy-htm-h1-ripway-com-online-viagra click here accuplacer test sample essay questions interazione coumadin viagra pay to write my paper leadership theories essay https://samponline.org/blacklives/brutus-speech-analysis/27/ viagra premature ejaculations enter site
Whenever I’m in a pickle with one of my academic coaching clients, I often turn to my Facebook friends. Such a smart and savvy group; rarely do they fail me.
Last week a client revealed that during her entire high school career, she has not read a single book for pleasure! “I don’t even know what genre I like to read,” she said sadly.
After a little more questioning, I posted the following on my Facebook profile:
Before the end of the school day, over 57 book suggestions from 23 friends flooded my Facebook account! My client was thrilled, and I was too. Here’s the list in full, with occasional commentary (apologies in advance for any spelling mistakes; my friends may be brilliant, but they make the occasional spelling mistakes). Happy reading, ya’ll!
- Watership Down
- Book of the Dun Cow
- Tender Morsels. “Very dark and VERY intense themes.”
- Lionel Shriver – Game Control and/or The Female of the Species
- Song of Fire and Ice series by George R. R. Martin. “Dense but chalk full of beautiful worlds, fascinating characters and interesting mysticism.”
- Life of Pi
- Another Roadside Attraction
- Their Eyes were Watching God
- The Bean Trees
- Slaughterhouse 5 (or other Vonnegut)
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
- Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
- The Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey;
- Unaccompanied Sonata and Other Stories by Orson Scott Card.
- The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- The Ink Series (InkHeart, InkSpell, and InkDeath)
- The Books of Ember (City of Ember, The People of Sparks, The Prophet of Yonwood, and The Diamond of Darkhold)
- The Dark Matter Series (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass.)
- Warrior Woman by Maxine Hong Kinston. “I love how she weaves stories together across continents. it’s adventure, identity, searching, dreams, fantasy, san francisco.”
- Dresden Files
- True Blood
- The Red Tent
- Memoirs of a Geisha
- The Mists of Avalon
- The Autobiography of Henry VIII
- Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel
- Anne McCaffrey, Dragonriders of Pern, and all the rest of the Pern series.
- Clan of the Cave Bear by Jane Auel. “This series totally engrossed me when I read them!”
- The Art of Racing in the Rain. “Since she likes animal stories.”
- Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Darkover books.
- The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. “Even tho’ it’s adult, it’s written from the point of view of a young girl AND it was recommended to me by a (precocious!) 12-year old girl. The writing is tremendous, and the human spirit, for me, rises way above the pain.”
- Hunger Games. ” One of the best I’ve read in a while–it’s a trilogy and only the first two have been release yet.”
- Marley and Me.
- Eragon series. “a really good fantasy story with a very cool dragon. Can’t wait to dive into the next installment.”
- Hawkmistress by Marion Zimmer Bradley.
- The Alchemyst (Book 1 of 6 book series) by Michael Scott
- The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan,Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief series. ” The books bear NO resemblance to the horrible movie. The books are much better.
- The Invention of Hugo Cabret.
- American Born Chinese (graphic novel by Gene Luen Yang)
- The Eternal Smile (graphic novel by Gene Luen Yang)
- The Gunslinger by Stephen King
- Lovely Bones
- The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor,
- Son Of Witch part of the Wicked series
- Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper.
Phew! That’s a lot. But I bet ya’ll know even more. Feel free to comment additional book suggestions.